Tuesday 5 April 2011

The starting point


Before I even begun my residency at Vryssaki, I knew my starting point of inspiration would be ancient Greece and in specific the ancient sites all around that area. It is almost impossible when on these sites to not feel a sense honor and peace, be it the history, be it the Greek terrain, be it the marble still standing.

I walked through the Ancient Agora with my daughter, looking for what inspires me most, and what inspired me most was the way she herself explored the space, through her eyes I started feeling the marble, soil and plantation, through her eyes I started smelling the moistness of the spring we discovered, through her eyes I again saw the sharpness of the light and the contrasts of the shapes and colours.

My new studio and my ‘creative hub’ for the next month was buzzing today. My neighbor artist Andreas Pashias was setting up his exhibition in the rooms next door, launching on Thursday. In my hub, table set, papers & pencils out, I begin my new journey.